Thursday, September 12, 2013

The story of stuff

I guess I will be making the first contribution (or not) to this blog. Took me some time to find how to post but now finally I located where to do it!

However. I've been interested in garbage for some time after doing a project together with some friend here at KTH in another course: Prescense architecture. During that project I encountered a video on youtube which spured an insterest in why we produce so much garbage in western society. This video explains in a really simple way where products come from and touches on the subject on why it is not sustainable to continue living as consumerists in such a way as we have become accustomed to. As I said, this video spured an interest, and I hope that you will also find it interesting too.

The video can be found HERE

By the way, this is the second time writing this post. My neighborhood suffered a power out where even the water pressure dropped considerably. This happened just after watching the video that Pargman linked on his post on the course blog. It really freaked me out, felt like the future had already come, ha ha! I can really recommend it for those of you who haven't yet seen it.

3 comments:

  1. "The story of stuff" is great and Annie Leonard has produced a number of "The story of..." movies. They are easily accessible in YouTube.

    Your blog post is of course a contribution and the contextualization and your personal reflections make it so!

    /Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched this movie, and it was equally scary as the 'There's No Tomorrow' piece we watched the other week. I was especially appalled by the fact that the average (american) person after 6 months still uses only 1 % of the consumed goods after 6 months. I hope the percentage is better in Europe, that would be interesting to know. Thanks for sharing!
    This summer I read a chatt on DN available here: http://www.dn.se/ekonomi/chatt-om-kopstopp/ (sorry it's in swedish). A woman decided to stop buying products that were not food or personal hygiene items. She claimed that she saved 10 000 (!) kr per month and was herself surprised by that. That is just a simple, and not very scientifically proven, example, but the lesson is that most of us (including myself) consumes a lot more than we think we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete