Thursday, August 30, 2012

Fate of the World

I realize we have barely started the course, but I hope this can be regarded as relevant enough to contribute to this blog. Here goes!

I stumbled upon this game recently, and I think it can be classified as something that connects ICT with Sustainability. The computer game is called "Fate of the World" and is available since about a year and a half back. It's apparently an "indie game", so it really doesn't display any amazing graphics or advanced visual interactivity. However, its central theme is saving the world from global collapse, which can come about in several different ways. From what I understand, the player assumes the role of leader of a world-wide humanitarian organization, then chooses scenarios to play through for the duration of gameplay. The scenarios can range from improving living conditions for the population of Africa to preventing catastrophic climate change (source: Wikipedia).


The game is turn-based, and every turn the player distributes actions such as investing in electric car technology, as well as having to manage public opinion of the regions where they are active with policies.

I find this idea for a game quite odd, because I instinctively assume nobody is going to play it, which isn't very fair to the developer. I'm not sure if the graphics and structure will appeal to the average computer game player, although I already know that some fans of strategy games have both downloaded and played it. One thing that is certain is that there is no shortage of apocalyptically themed video and computer games out there, but they usually don't deal with actually solving the world's sustainability issues before it is too late. And they're usually a little more action-oriented. Nonetheless, I can imagine how awareness and, in a way, educating younger generations on problems with i.e. population growth and global warming can be helped through the computer game medium, but I'm not sure if this particular game will reach enough individuals. It wouldn't exactly be the first time an attempt at teaching through gaming would be made, although most previous examples I know of were directed at children in primary school... Regardless, it is an interesting idea, and possibly the cornerstone in a coming trend of game themes (for adults and teens)? It's an exciting thought!

For those of you who want to try it out, it is available on Steam!

6 comments:

  1. Great post! If someone has actually played it, please tell us more!

    As a matter of fact, I've had Fate of the World and a couple of other computer games with a "green", "sustainable", "save-the-world" angle on my radar for some time. Since I don't have time to play these games myself, my idea was to formulate a master's thesis topic (proposal) around the idea of doing an "inventory" of these games - including playing them and then analyzing the games and their content.

    Anyone interested is welcome to get in touch with me when the time arrives to think about thesis topics. In the meanwhile, you might enjoy Jane McGongal's 20 minutes long TED talk, Gaming can make a better world

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I think it is good that this game kind of enlightens people about some of the problems the humanity will in time have to solve.

    There are plenty of movies and games out there where you are launched into a world of destruction, and where the characters look for "solutions". When it comes to Hollywood movies I'd say that from what I have seen it's more common with "feel-good" endings where the problems are "solved" rather than endings where the problem are not solved.

    I remember reding about the critical theory that was formed by memembers from the Frankfurst school quite many years ago. Basically, what was said was that when massculture will emerge (which will happend when people realize that culture can be sold as products), the massculture industry will with time create their own pandoras box, where recepies for sucessfull culture products will be stored. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWKo5veKjVU)

    Now, the most important ingredient today is fun I believe. People today need to have fun or feel gratification in order to like something and do something. If I remember that TED-Talk correctly it kind of shows that as well. Today we need to gamify/moviefy a problem in order for people to become interested in solving it. Either that, or a shit load of money will do it.

    Will we ever be able to solve some of these giant problems when we need fun all the time? I am a bit sceptical to whether this game actually changes anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. .
    0.5 Ding

    Nice linked film, ok thoughts, although (as I understand them) perhaps not totally on-topic...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a interesting thought, but as Philip said I'm having a hard time that this will actually change our way of thinking (speaking for myself). But maybe things like this could be a good way to spread knowledge to our new generation that will have to combat these problems in the future.

    I will give this game a try and come back with a review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "There are plenty of movies and games out there where you are launched into a world of destruction, and where the characters look for "solutions". When it comes to Hollywood movies I'd say that from what I have seen it's more common with "feel-good" endings where the problems are "solved" rather than endings where the problem are not solved. "

    Did you watch "Perfect Storm" with Colooney? Not so happy ending = Not generating enough income. ;)

    ReplyDelete